Ask Your Question Here
Contact our specialists!
The Genetic centre iVF Riga is currently the only one in the Baltic Countries offering preimplantation genetic testing or screening (PGT-A/PGS) of embryos and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGT-M/PGD).
The terms PGD and PGS are replaced now by new definitions:
PGS = PGT-A (Preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy - abnormal number of chromosomes)
PGD = PGT-M (Preimplantation genetic testing for monogenic/single gene diseases)*
*According to The International Glossary on Infertility and Fertility Care, 2017
Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) or Preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A)
Simultaneous testing of the entire set of chromosomes of an embryo on the day 5 of development by NGS method (Next generation sequencing) before the embryo is transferred into the uterus.
- Repeated failed IVF cycles;
- Pregnancy occurs, but then repeatedly interrupted or stopped (Repeated miscarriages);
- Changes in the parental karyotype (Robertsonian, reciprocal translocations or chromosomal mosaicism);
- Age after 40 years (Advanced maternal age).
In such cases, embryos with an altered chromosome set often develop, which are not able to be implanted into the uterus or stop in their development in the early stages of pregnancy.
PGS (PGT-A) is carried out:
- to screen the entire set of chromosomes for abnormalities;
- to improve IVF results;
- to increase IVF success rates;
- without personalized test preparation.
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) or Preimplantation genetic testing for monogenic/single gene diseases (PGT-M)
The examination of monogenic hereditary diseases (which appeared because of changes in a single gene).
- Confirmed monogenic hereditary diseases, which are transmitted from generation to generation;
- A monogenic disease has already been detected in one of family children
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD or PGT-M) is the unique method, offered by iVF Riga Clinic. If a woman or a man has a disease on gene level, it is possible to define the precise localization of the problem and examine both the chromosome and the gene level to exclude such health problems for the unborn child.
PGD (PGT-M) is carried out:
- to reduce genetic disorder risk;
- to check for monogenic hereditary diseases;
- with personalized test design & preparation.
iVF Riga Genetic laboratory benefits:
- All investigations are carried out at our own genetic laboratory; no need for material transportation to other laboratories;
- Tests runtime: PGS ~2 weeks; PGD – individually set;
- PGS (PGT-A) is included in PGD (PGT-M) for healthy embryos;
- Geneticist consultation with detailed explanation.